Thursday, July 20, 2006

You're a Doctor, You treat EVERYBODY!

Nothing makes me sicker than someone hiding behind their religion when it comes time to take responsibility for their discriminatory actions. I can't stand it when religious haters do it so they can continue to persecute homosexuals, but I absolutely will not tolerate it when a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, paramedic or ambulance driver believes that they have the right to refuse medication, treatment or emergency care if it conflicts with their religious beliefs. I know the fascist homophobic theocratic government of this country has said this kind of behavior is ok, it is absolutely not - no questions asked. You can read a really long story about it here. Trust me, there is never, ever a time when this is ok. You can wrap it in all the religious freedom you like, but when you take on a job of healing people, you do not get to decide who is worthy of treatment and who isn't. Here is the Declaration of Geneva - the oath for medical practitioners since 1948 and designed in light of the medical crimes committed by Nazi's during WWII. You remember the Nazi's don't you, they were also a fascist homophobic group with a single-minded philosophy that beat down or persecuted anyone who didn't fit their ideals and values (woo sounds a little to similar doesn't it?)

The Declaration of Geneva reads:

At the time of being admitted as a member of the medical profession:
  • I solemnly pledge myself to consecrate my life to the service of humanity;
  • I will give to my teachers the respect and gratitude which is their due;
  • I will practice my profession with conscience and dignity;
  • The health of my patient will be my first consideration;
  • I will respect the secrets which are confided in me, even after the patient has died;
  • I will maintain by all the means in my power, the honor and the noble traditions of the medical profession;
  • My colleagues will be my sisters and brothers;
  • I will not permit considerations of age, disease or disability, creed, ethnic origin, gender, nationality, political affiliation, race, sexual orientation, or social standing to intervene between my duty and my patient;
  • I will maintain the utmost respect for human life from its beginning even under threat and I will not use my medical knowledge contrary to the laws of humanity;
  • I make these promises solemnly, freely and upon my honor.
That's seems pretty nice. It also doesn't seem ambiguous either. It doesn't say I will treat you and care for you humanely unless you are really really gay or a Muslim or a liberal or a rape victim. It says "the health of my patient will be my first consideration" it doesn't say anything about checking with God or church or government first. If woman needs to terminate a pregnancy because she was raped or if her life is threatened, you treat her. If an AIDS patient needs drugs, you give them to him. If an Islamic terrorist blows his pinky toe off with a botched suicide bomb, you patch him up. If Judas Iscariot shows up at your pharmacy with 12 of his gayest friends and wants to buy a case of condoms with his 30 pieces of silver, you sell them to him. If you are in the healthcare profession you do not have a choice - that's your job. If you can't do ALL of it because any part of it conflicts with your religious beliefs, then go get a job at church. If you refuse any type of treatment to anybody for religious reasons you should be immediately fired, period. So in our first swipe of The Rudicus Razor, we're going to call bullshit on every doctor, nurse, pharmacist, ambulance driver or healthcare worker who claims that their religious belief gives them the right to refuse treatment, help, medication or other assistance.

1 Comments:

Blogger Angel said...

It is pretty screwed up that people try to force their own PERSONAL religious beliefs on others.

7/20/2006 10:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home